If your dog bites someone, your first reaction might be shock or to panic. However, it is important to take swift action if a dog bite occurs. Don’t delay – if your dog bites someone, take the following necessary steps:
• Confine your dog to a crate of another room.
• Help the bite victim and wash the wound thoroughly with warm, soapy water.
• Be courteous and sympathetic to the bite victim. Avoid laying blame or getting defensive. Remember what you say may be used against you later if legal or civil action is taken.
• Exchange contact information with the victim. Provide your insurance information, if applicable.
• If there were witnesses, obtain their contact information.
• Contact your veterinarian and obtain your dog’s medical records. Inform local authorities of the incident and comply with their orders.
The A.W. Smith Law Firm in Columbia handles dog bite and serious injury cases all over the State of Missouri. If you have questions about how to choose a law firm that is equipped to handle your dog bite or serious injury case, please contact us today at 573-777-3333 or visit our website at www.awsmithlaw.com. The A.W. Smith Law Firm has recovered millions in settlements and verdicts in serious injury and dog bite cases.